Class D Contracts
Class D allotment contracts attach a water allotment to a specific tract of land for agricultural purposes.
The Colorado-Big Thompson Project units and the tract of land to which the C-BT units are attached must be under the same ownership, and the water must be used for agricultural purposes.
Class D ownership requirements:
Field Exam InformationBefore the Northern Water Board considers an application to transfer water, staff may conduct a field exam to ensure the total water supply does not exceed 3 acre feet of water per irrigated acre.
A field exam is required if:
- The land does not already have C-BT Project water attached
- The land has C-BT Project water attached but the transfer would add additional C-BT Project units
- The land is being subdivided into several tracts
- A portion of the land has been sold
Information needed to conduct a field exam:
Notice of Claim of Lien
- Recorded Warranty Deed
- Total acreage of land tract
- Total irrigated acres
- Existence of base water supplies
- Number of irrigation wells and decreed rates (i.e. gallons per minute or cubic feet per second)
To file a Notice of Claim of Lien with Northern Water on a Class D allotment contract, this document is required: Notice of Claim of Lien or Security Interest in a Class D Allotment and Request for Notification of Action Regarding a Class D Allotment Contract.
For more Notice of Claim of Lien information, refer to the Rule Regarding Notice of Claim of Lien and Change or Removal of Allotment Contracts Issued by Northern Water (adopted: April 9, 2010).